DIFFSYS FORUM

Author   Comment  
Roman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I would like to ask if the shape of a machined surface must be only round, rectangle or square for rastering. When I import a point cloud with different shape Diffsys tries to extrapolate data to fill in the round or rectangle shape (and mostly inappropriate because it is suitable extrapolate data only in the X or Y direction for rastering in most cases, not in X+Y+corners). Moreover machining out of your part unnecessarily increases machining time.

Roman

Diffsys Support

Reply with quote  #2 
Most optics have a defined clear aperture (active optical surface) that is a bit smaller than the actual surface to be machined.  Furthermore, we have found that the definition of many freeform surfaces, either equations or point clouds,  can go a bit crazy outside the design clear aperture.  The new feature "Change boundary" is used to move the boundary where the extrapolation in DIFFSYS starts.  It is no longer tied to the physical edges of the part itself.  For example, you can now choose the extrapolation boundary to match the clear aperture.  We have found that this has greatly improved the machinability of many freeform surfaces. 
ChangeBoundary.jpg

Roman

Reply with quote  #3 
Ok. Let's have a part with a shape showed in the picture "A". aa.png
The texture on the surface (picture "B") requires rastering in the direction of the Y axis. There is two options - modify/extend the surface in another CAD (timeconsuming) or let Diffsys extrapolate imported point cloud. But Diffsys can extrapolate data only multi-directional X+Y+corners. I think it would be much suitable to extrapolate data (or have an option) only in one direction (in Y axis for this case). In this case X+Y+corners extrapolation create non homogeneous surface (picture "C") and the tool will "jump in the air" outside the workpiece.
aaa.png 
Moreover as I wrote in previous post, machining out of your part unnecessarily increases machining time. And that leads me back to the original question: must be a shape of a machined surface only round, rectangle or square for rastering?

Diffsys Support

Reply with quote  #4 
We are looking at adding new features to DIFFSYS to better handle surfaces like this.  We will start with rastering with arbitrary surface boundaries.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!